Wednesday, June 30, 2010

things work differently out here

      So another observation post is in order. And this time it's about how Italians do business. I know I haven't seen too much of it, but what I have seen is interesting. And I have been around my family down south to see how it works.... sort of. So first I'll start with my friends. I have become friends with some club promoters and they do business in such a weird way. Well to me it is. They're young and they're here for fun so it's ok, but jeez I don't know how they do it. They hand out flyers for clubs and then get paid according to that. And in order to get paid they have to wait for whoever it was that hired them to meet. And usually that's a local and jeez do Italians take their sweet time. I waited with them once and the person was a good half hour late. That would so not happen in the US and if it did, it would be a one time thing and not happen again. It's just so much more lax out here. And then when the person finally got there it took another 40 minutes for anything to get done because they like to have a cappuccino and then have a smoke and then another shot of espresso. It's nuts to watch.
     Then there's the business that I'm in. I am doing my internship with an event planning company that specializes in weddings, private parties and congresses (big meetings) and the office is very lax. Most days I'm only there 3 hours and then go home. Granted it is their slow season. And again with taking their sweet time. Yesterday my boss brought me and the other intern to a planning meeting for a wedding expo they're participating in in November and we got there at the start time. The meeting didn't actually start til 40 minutes later and it was sporadic at best. Very very strange to me. It would make me crazy to work like this. But of course it's all what you're used to and adaptation is all part of working with different countries. That is, after all, what I am here to do. To get international experience.
      Well that's my piece for today. The weather is getting hotter and therefore making everyone very tired. Ahhh italia =)

No comments:

Post a Comment